Saturday, February 7, 2009

What Do You Say?

Today at work a patient wanted to talk about death. He is in physical pain. He is tired of fighting. The machine I hook him to three times a week is keeping him alive. He is struggling with the final decision whether this is how he wants to continue on or not. He loves his family and they love him. He is scared. To be honest, I was scared. What do you say? What would God want me to say? What is the RIGHT response?

I have been there before, during, and after death. I have been the nurse on night shift providing "comfort measures". I have been the nurse making the 3am call to the family to say, "you better come now". I have been the nurse who holds a daughter up as she walks in the room to see her mother taking her last few breaths. I have helped the mortician lay a body in the velvet blanket for transport. I understand the process of death.

I couldn't find the right words to say today. I did tell him I would pray for him. I hope as my faith in God grows I will be able to become bolder...then I could have prayed with him today.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Wow, that is tough! I don't know what I would say to this man but I am glad he has a kind nurse like you to speak with!